Last month, I got a severely damaged marine 2-stroke engine from one of my customers. He came out with his outboard engine, showed me the damaged part, and wanted to repair it. I observed and got through every part of that engine. I noticed the worst damaged part when I came through the engine fuel system.
I asked him what engine oil he used there & came to know that he used regular motor oil. I was shocked. However, I then explained to him why the regular motor oil is not suitable for any outboard and why he should use synthetic 2-stroke oil. I gave him the below comparison explanation on synthetic 2-stroke outboard oil vs regular motor oil. Keep going so that you don’t make the same mistake.
Of course, the synthetic 2-stroke outboard oil is perfect and the best compared to regular motor oil. There are some legit reasons behind my acknowledgment. You should first get some ideas about these two engine oils. Then, we will talk about their features, sound, and worse sides.
Consider two motor engines where one is the most updated and the other is an old engine. You will get a requirement from your updated and latest motor engine that it requires synthetic engine oil to operate smoothly.
But the old engine might have no requirements, and you can easily use the regular engine oil. But the question is, why are they different?
The synthetic 2-stroke engine oil is a synthetic motor oil with different combinations of chemicals and some based oils. It also has some added additives that work nicely to move the engine parts without wear and corrosion issues.
But regular oil is mainly crude oil that doesn’t have any additives or any added chemicals. You will not get the perfect viscosity that your engine will require to run smoothly. So, it doesn’t contain any extra lubricant to help your engine perform better and be lubricated.
|Factors||Synthetic 2-stroke oil||Regular Oil|
|Viscosity||Different viscosity levels are there from high to low.||Only high-viscosity level|
|Engine type||All outboard engines||Only the old one|
|Using Experience||User-friendly||Hard to clean|
- Viscosity: the synthetic 2-stroke outboard oil comes with different viscosity levels, including SAE 15 and more, according to your outboard engine requirements. But then, regular motor oil has a constant viscosity rate. You can’t get the customized viscosity level.
- Perfect For: The synthetic 2-stroke outboard oil is perfect for all engines, including outboard, regular vehicles, tractors, lawnmowers, and more. But the regular oil is only suitable for the old model engine.
- Engine Performance: Synthetic 2-stroke outboard oil lubricates your engine better than anyone else and gives you the best experience of driving that engine. You will get the optimum service from your engine, but the regular oil does not lubricate your engine since it has no added additives. It will create wear and corrosion among engine parts.
- Added Benefits: The 2-stroke outboard engine oil comes with a quality blend and some beneficial chemicals that protect your engine from damage and friction. Also, you can start your engine in winter and extreme conditions. But the regular or crude oil will fail to start your engine at low temperature.
- Recommended Engine: All types of the 2-stroke outboard engine, any marine engine, and other regular vehicle engines are the recommended engines where you can use the synthetic 2-stroke outboard oil. But the regular oil is only for the old model car engine.
- Price: The synthetic outboard oil costs more than the regular oil. You need to spend 50-100 bucks for synthetic oil, whereas regular oil only requires 30-35 bucks.
- User Feedback: Synthetic 2-stroke outboard engine oil is more user-friendly than regular oil for the above reasons. So, you should always choose synthetic engine oil over any regular engine. It will give you the best result, and you will love to use the synthetic 2-stroke engine oil in your outboard engine.
It’s time to get some specific benefits of synthetic 2-stroke outboard oil from my experience and my customers.
The first benefit is, of course, the high-quality materials. You undoubtedly use the best components when you use the synthetic 2-stroke outboard oil. Your engine will be healthy and last long since this fluid comes with all quality chemicals, additives, and fluid.
The synthetic 2-stroke outboard oil can protect your engine from internal damages like wearing & corrosion. It provides enough lubrication so that your engine parts don’t get friction. It has added additives that work for the entire transmission and fuel systems.
Synthetic oil enhances your vehicle engine’s performance with its high-quality materials and added additives. Also, the viscosity plays a perfect role in increasing the engine performance. Since the synthetic 2-stroke engine oil comes with chemicals & quality components, you will get enhanced engine performance.
Your engine will get wear and corrosion for a long time. If you use a quality synthetic oil, it will lubricate the engine parts & avoid corrosion. So, the synthetic 2-stroke engine will resist the wear and corrosion of your engine fuel system and cylinder.
We declare that the synthetic 2-stroke engine oil is a clear winner here. But the regular oil is also there with some worse factors & some issues that is why you cannot use the regular oil for an outboard engine. Let’s look at those factors.
The regular oil has no added additives to work in regular engines or outboard motors. Regular oil is all about crude oil that doesn’t have any added chemicals & additives. So, you will not get any added support to your engine.
The regular oil has crude oil, including some other particles. These particles will damage the entire fuel system and will create a clog in the pipes and gasoline. So, your engine will be damaged.
The worst part of using regular oil is the lack of lubrication. Your engine will get lack lubrication and will create friction. As a result, the engine fuel parts and pipes will be worn-by, and you need to repair them.
After getting all the characteristics of synthetic oil & regular oil, the synthetic 2-stroke outboard oil wins here for the below reasons.
- The synthetic 2-stroke outboard oil has the quality materials and additives to work with outboard engine oil.
- If you don’t have the marine outboard engine oil, you can also use the synthetic 2-stroke outboard oil. It will be ideally suited to other vehicle engines.
- It’s easy to use and can cope with the engine requirements. But the regular oil won’t be able to meet the engine requirements.
According to the characteristics and the features, we can say that the 2-stroke engine oil is a clear winner. It has better-quality materials, compatible chemicals & other quality that depicts that synthetic oil is a clear winner here. You can go through all the points and get the best result from your outboard engine.
You may also consider the regular oil drawbacks since it will explain why the synthetic 2-stroke engine oil wins here. You may also compare these two oils by using them and driving for a short time. It will give you in-depth and experienced results. Jokes apart, you will love to use the 2-stroke synthetic engine oil instead of the regular oil.
If you have an old model car that requires regular oil, you can use the synthetic 2-stroke outboard oil. It will protect your old engine and increase productivity, but try to use regular oil.
Yes, the regular oil will damage your outboard engine because the synthetic oil will create clogs & will wear by damaging the outboard engine parts and the entire fuel system.
The synthetic 2-stroke oil vs regular oil is not an identical factor, yet it’s a common query. You should always go for the synthetic 2-stroke engine oil and get the best performance. It will enhance the engine performance and will increase the lifespan.